Monday, January 18, 2016

{ HONDURAS 2011 }

Five years ago, I was walking the streets of Honduras.  I had no idea what all would happen in the five years after that trip.

If you were to ask me about that trip anytime before today, I probably would have told you I got sick.  Like, really sick.  I also might have told you that my sweet grandmother got stuck in a very small bathroom at a church we visited, or that we visited the school my dad and aunt's attended when they lived there.  And I'll probably still tell you those things today, but my view of that trip has started to change.


{This was taken at the school where my dad and aunts went to school.}


Five years ago, I never could have imagined being where I am today.  I was this awkward junior high child trying to understand my make-up math homework and attempting to communicate with the locals even though I could only count to twenty in Spanish and only knew the names of colors and how to ask where the bathroom was (that's a very important question to know, by the way).

Now, I'm a college student studying language and culture and language/culture education.  When I visited Dad's old school, all I could think about was how I still didn't feel to great after being sick the day before.  Later in the trip, I started dreaming of teaching in a school like that one.  But at that point, it was just an idea floating around in my head.  I had no plan or goal or really anything except this idea floating in my head: I'm going to live somewhere like this one day and teach somewhere like this.

{ "Porque yo sé los pensamientos que tengo acerca de vosotros, dice Jehova, pensamientos de paz, y no de mal, para daros el fin que esperáis."  Jeremías 29:11 }

I leave in about four months to spend my summer in Nicaragua teaching and witnessing to the people there.  I had no idea that day at that school in Honduras that, five years down the road, I would be preparing to live for three months in a bordering country and teach as a missions tool.  Looking back on the last five years, it's amazing to see just how God has taken this awkward girl and given me a desire to serve Him in Latin America.  I went from dreaming of teaching somewhere like the school we visited to actually getting ready to teach for an entire summer in Nicaragua.  God's pretty cool, isn't He?







{Near the bottom of this picture is the stadium, and above from that is the airport's runway.  Flying into Honduras was one of the coolest things I've experienced!}

No comments:

Post a Comment